I met with a number of residents late in 2019 at Many Hands Winery and heard their concerns about improving road safety on this stretch of the Maroondah Hwy in Coldstream. In Parliament in November 2019, I asked the Minister for Roads to allocate funds to widen the road, install turning lanes at dangerous intersections and reduce the speed limit. This road has become increasingly unsafe and the measures I proposed will allow residents to safely turn in and out of numerous wineries and other tourism businesses.
I am pleased to report that the Roads Minister has responded to my requests, advising that:
Turning lane improvements were planned for the intersections of Tarrawarra Road, Domaine Chandon, Maddens Lane and Maxwells Roads;
· Reducing the speed limit was being considered;
· If the speed limit was reduced, a wide centreline would be installed, with no centreline barriers;
· Works were expected to be concluded by mid-2020.
VicRoads commenced works on March 1, 2020 to do the following:
· Install dedicated turning lanes at the intersections referred to above;
· Install a wide centreline with rumble strips;
· Reduce the speed limit to 80 kmph between Coldstream and Healesville.
This is a fantastic result that meets community expectations, and represents the culmination of the dedicated efforts of so many in our local community. Local residents and traders have campaigned tirelessly to make this stretch of road safer. I am glad to have worked and advocated on the community's behalf to achieve this terrific outcome.