Monday 25 May 2020
Iconic piers closed and left in disrepair by Andrews Labor Government
Reports today that a number of Victoria’s iconic piers have been closed by the Andrews Government is appalling.
Both Middle Brighton Pier and the Black Rock Jetty have been closed indefinitely because of safety and structural concerns. This follows the closure of Central Pier at Docklands last year which is expected to cost tens of millions of dollars to repair.
Issues with the state of the Middle Brighton Pier were first identified in 2017, and yet the Andrews Labor Government has sat idly by while the pier has deteriorated.
Last year when it was identified that the pier was at risk of collapse, Victorian Government spokesman Joel Dwyer said:
“Parks Victoria had developed a plan for the historic section of the pier, but did not clarify further details or whether a long-term solution and funding would be committed.”
It’s clear that the Andrews Labor Government has known about the dangerous state of the Middle Brighton Pier for years but has failed to act.
Comments attributable to Shadow Minister for Ports and Freight, Roma Britnell:
“It is a disgrace that the Andrews Labor Government has allowed some of Victoria’s most iconic piers to fall into complete disrepair.
“Over three years ago Daniel Andrews knew urgent action was needed to fix the Middle Brighton Pier but failed to act.”
Comments attributable to Shadow Minister for Environment and Climate Change, Bridget Vallence:
“Victorians are being denied access to these iconic landmarks due to the sheer incompetence and disregard of the Andrews Labor Government.
“The Andrews Government is failing in its duty to ensure our community assets are maintained, instead we’re told they have to be closed because of structural failures.”
Comments attributable to Member for Brighton, James Newbury:
“It’s clear that the Andrews Labor Government has known about the dangerous state of the Middle Brighton Pier for years but has done absolutely nothing about it.
“The Middle Brighton Pier is an internationally iconic feature of Melbourne and it is a tragedy that the Andrews Labor Government has closed the pier instead of investing to make the pier safe.”